Commitment to Excellence
ICT is committed to providing the latest, experiential, evidence-based training and consulting services to your department or organization. To that end, we seek out and participate in continuing education and certification at the highest levels of interactive learning available.
D. R. “Jamie” McDermott founded Island Consulting and Training in 2006. Having enjoyed her career in public sector management, Ms. McDermott was well aware of how advanced-level training in law enforcement environments would make an enormous impact on not only the professionals who protect and serve the public, but on the community as a whole. Ms. McDermott saw the need for this type of evidence-based training throughout all restorative justice and public safety environments, schools, social work and other public service organizations. Through her immense passion and dedication, she continues to solve complex problems in these environments by providing the most up-to-date, cutting edge training available.
Instructor Updates & Honors
• In October 2020, Jamie will lead two four hour seminars focusing on Title 15: Trauma Informed Care for Training Manager’s Seminar (TMS) 2020 in Cambria, CA. Jamie is widely known for her expertise in this area. In 2018, Island Consulting and Training conducted a study of childhood trauma in probation staff and the children in custody. Numerous Probation Departments participated in that study. The findings in both groups were analyzed and compared by an unrelated group. Those findings were shocking. This highly focused seminar is specifically designed for probation staff utilizing evidence based data collected in California Probation Departments and Jamie’s eight hour seminar examines this critical issue in depth.
• In November, 2019, Jamie will be the Key Note at The Special Populations Seminar in Camarillo, CA presented by Foster Youth Services, Ventura County Office of Education. She will additionally present two – one – hour presentations entitled The Path to Health Through Understanding Trauma and Resiliency – focused on disseminating “inspiration and information” around families and children who receive services from myriad organizations including, but not limited to Foster Youth Services.
• In October, 2019, Jamie will present at CAPIA (California Association Probation Institutions Administrators) conference for the Southern California Region as a subject matter expert in exceptional leadership models within restorative justice and public safety environment’s for juveniles and at-risk youth in custody settings. Jamie received specialized training in this area at the Department of Justice.
• In 2018 and 2019, Jamie participated in 80 hours of training specific to emotional intelligence, visioning and implementing best practices.
• Became a member of a Master Mind group whose focus is Emotional Intelligence and the work of Danial Goleman, Ph.D and others as it relates to personal transformation/rehabilitation in the law enforcement environment.
• In 2019, Ms. McDermott became a Certified Life Mastery Consultant and began a second company that specializes in work with couples and groups around personal and interpersonal excellence and non violent communication.
• In September of 2018, Jamie facilitated the Bay Area Training Officer’s Executive Planning 2018 Retreat in Napa, CA.
• In May of 2018, Island Consulting and Training presented a four hour course about trauma informed care at the Cliffs Resort for CCTOA.
• In September 2017, Jamie was the plenary speaker for CPPCA on the beautiful Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA where she introduced her study of trauma and resiliency in law enforcement staff and methodologies surrounding our need for self care. The seminar received outstanding reviews.
• In November, 2016, Jamie was selected as a subject matter expert to present to CAPIA at their annual conference. The topic was: Unpacking SB1143: Discovery, Implementation, Compliance. The seminar received outstanding reviews and was attended by over one hundred law enforcement leaders.
• In 2016, Jamie became a Certified Professional Behavioral Analyst and Certified Professional Driving Forces Analyst (what drives people to do what they do) and has teamed with Target Training International to bring evidence based tools to measure behaviors, motivators, emotional quotients, and stress quotients of staff.
• In September 2016, Ms. McDermott completed 200 hours of immersion training in Nonviolent Communication (NVC) and is committed to an instructor certification process in Oakland, CA.
• 2015: Jamie was selected as a feature presenter at the Training Manager’s Seminar held at the Cliff’s Resort in Pismo Beach, CA. Her course, Ethical Decision Making and Risk Management, received exceptional reviews.
• In 2015, Ms. McDermott completed 150 hours of continued education focused specifically on Collaborative Leadership and Conflict Resolution. 30 of those hours were specifically dedicated to:
o Advanced Training in Motivational Interviewing
o Conflict Resolution
• 2014: Jamie was selected as a feature presenter at the Training Manager’s Seminar (TMS) held at the Cliff’s Resort in Pismo Beach, CA. Her course, Generational Diversity received exceptional reviews.
• In 2014 and 2015, Ms. McDermott dedicated 120 hours of continued education to:
o Effective and practical communication skills, tools, and techniques
o New tools to increase a sense of buy-in and ownership among your team while also building a stronger team as a whole
o Ownership language vs. victim language
o Ways to enhance awareness of and commitment to personal accountability and integrity in the workplace
o New and cooperative responses to move from conflict to collaboration
o Skills to help you thrive during changes and transitions in the workplace
o Necessary tools to take appropriate risks that will lead to enhanced performance and results
The Black Belt of Excellence Presented to Supervisor McDermott
“In appreciation for your outstanding leadership, dedication & contributions to the Officer Safety Training Team”