Commitment to Excellence
ICT is committed to providing the latest, experiential, evidence-based, culturally competent training and consulting services to your department or organization. To that end, we seek out and participate in continuing education and certification at the highest levels of interactive learning available.
To learn more, please enjoy the short video below.
D. R. “Jamie” McDermott founded Island Consulting and Training in 2006. Having enjoyed a career in public sector management, Jamie was well aware of how advanced-level training in law enforcement environments would make an enormous impact on not only the professionals who protect and serve the public, but on the community as a whole.
Jamie saw the need for this type of evidence-based training throughout all restorative justice and public safety environments, schools, social work and other public service organizations. Through their immense passion and dedication, Jamie continues to solve complex problems in these environments by providing the most up-to-date, cutting edge training available.
In March, 2020, ICT Created and implemented an On-Line Training Platform that has enjoyed tremendous success. During 2019, Jamie invested $170,000 in a new “civilian centered” on-line training and consulting business. That business is thriving and has been active for approximately one year. Jamie presently leads live on-line seminars and one-on-one coaching sessions, meetings and has experienced great success with this new live on-line classroom experience. Because of this, ICT was ready to begin facilitating STC training immediately via the ZOOM platform when the pandemic began.
To learn more about this, please visit our “Live On-Line Training Program Page“.
Island Consulting & Training
Global Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Diversity, inclusion, and culturally competent service are defining characteristics of our business practices and our training program. We are proud to offer training which fosters a culture of inclusion and cultural competency within law enforcement.
Experienced. Supportive. Real.
Our success supports our 30-year, active commitment to advancing diversity as a proven catalyst of growth and progress – for everyone.
At Island Consulting and Training (ICT), we work to create and support equitable and inclusive cultures where we all have the opportunity to reach our fullest potential. We know that excellence and the best ideas come from the thoughts and experiences of diverse groups of people; working together.
A culture of inclusion celebrates diversity and equality.
Inclusion means we are all comfortable to contribute, discover and be our authentic selves at work, at play, everywhere, anywhere, 24/7.
The breadth of background, direct experience, education, training, and mission of ICT supports our commitment to celebrating diversity. We know that inclusion is as a proven catalyst of personal, professional and economic growth and success.
At ICT, we bring the unique strength of living, working and playing in global settings with individuals and groups from many different stations of life, ethnicities, abilities, classes, ages, backgrounds, languages, cultures, genders, families, sexual orientations, philosophical beliefs and identities. Our understanding of intersectionality informs us that we all walk in many of these worlds. We cannot live, much less thrive separately from one another. We are complex beings as individuals and that complexity is interwoven within the worlds we choose to walk in.
And, if you are reading this, that means you.
Please visit our Diversity Section to learn more about specific training opportunities.
Instructor Updates & Honors
• May, 2020: Jamie has led 100+ seminars for law enforcement and other groups that address issues directly related to current events in the USA. Jamie brings a very special lens as they are a retired peace officer and has worked with 50 counties and studied the wide ranging cultures within law enforcement around issues of diversity and inclusion. Jamie is able to navigate within all of these environments and tailor their message to their audience.
Jamie has studied issues of diversity and inclusion their entire life. Their father was a race relations officer for the United States Navy and wrote the curriculum for integration under President Nixon. Jamie has hundreds of hours of training, specific to these issues and spent a year in an intensive Non-Violent Communication (the work of Dr. Marshall Rosenberg) program in Oakland, CA working with many diverse and divergent groups. Jamie has also studied under Roxy Manning, Ph.D, and others; most recently, in 2020, during an International Non-Violent Communication Seminar.
Their work in this capacity exposed Jamie to many of the ways humans express their personal identity. Jamie also learned about the deep complexity of the human-being and how our basic human needs for equality and respect impact our actions. Jamie came to understand that only through a lens of intersectionality, can our goals of healthy, inclusive workplace environments for all be met. Their study and personal experience bring the “human” factor to these courses.
Ms. Cotton recently completed specialized LGBT+ training and created the curriculum for ICT’s AB2504 course.
Together, Jamie and Ms. Cotton are committed to assisting departments in providing a safe place for all to work and be. ICT training looks to the basics of human dignity as a map to meet the common goals and mandates of the State of California regarding this topic.
• RESCHEDULED DUE TO COVID: In October 2020, Jamie will lead two four hour seminars focusing on Title 15: Trauma Informed Care for Training Manager’s Seminar (TMS) 2020 in Cambria, CA. Jamie is widely known for their expertise in this area. In 2018, Island Consulting and Training conducted a study of childhood trauma in probation staff and the children in custody. Numerous Probation Departments participated in that study. The findings in both groups were analyzed and compared by an unrelated group. Those findings were shocking. This highly focused seminar is specifically designed for probation staff utilizing evidence based data collected in California Probation Departments and Jamie’s eight hour seminar examines this critical issue in depth.
• RESCHEDULED DUE TO COVID: In November, 2019, Jamie will be the Key Note at The Special Populations Seminar in Camarillo, CA presented by Foster Youth Services, Ventura County Office of Education. Jamie will additionally present two – one – hour presentations entitled The Path to Health Through Understanding Trauma and Resiliency – focused on disseminating “inspiration and information” around families and children who receive services from myriad organizations including, but not limited to Foster Youth Services.
• In October, 2019, Jamie was a presenter at the CAPIA (California Association Probation Institutions Administrators) conference for the Southern California Region as a subject matter expert in exceptional leadership models within restorative justice and public safety environment’s for juveniles and at-risk youth in custody settings. Jamie received specialized training in this area at the Department of Justice.
• In 2018 and 2019, Jamie participated in 80 hours of training specific to emotional intelligence, visioning and implementing best practices.
• Became a member of a Master Mind group whose focus is Emotional Intelligence and the work of Daniel Goleman, Ph.D and others as it relates to personal transformation/rehabilitation in the law enforcement environment.
• In 2019, Ms. McDermott became a Certified Life Mastery Consultant and began a second company that specializes in work with couples and groups around personal and interpersonal excellence and non violent communication.
• In September of 2018, Jamie facilitated the Bay Area Training Officer’s Executive Planning 2018 Retreat in Napa, CA.
• In May of 2018, Island Consulting and Training presented a four hour course about trauma informed care at the Cliffs Resort for CCTOA.
• In September 2017, Jamie was the plenary speaker for CPPCA on the beautiful Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA where they introduced their study of trauma and resiliency in law enforcement staff and methodologies surrounding our need for self care. The seminar received outstanding reviews.
• In November, 2016, Jamie was selected as a subject matter expert to present to CAPIA at their annual conference. The topic was: Unpacking SB1143: Discovery, Implementation, Compliance. The seminar received outstanding reviews and was attended by over one hundred law enforcement leaders.
• In 2016, Jamie became a Certified Professional Behavioral Analyst and Certified Professional Driving Forces Analyst (what drives people to do what they do) and has teamed with Target Training International to bring evidence based tools to measure behaviors, motivators, emotional quotients, and stress quotients of staff.
• In September 2016, Ms. McDermott completed 200 hours of immersion training in Nonviolent Communication (NVC) and is committed to an instructor certification process in Oakland, CA.
• 2015: Jamie was selected as a feature presenter at the Training Manager’s Seminar held at the Cliff’s Resort in Pismo Beach, CA. Jamie’s course, Ethical Decision Making and Risk Management, received exceptional reviews.
• In 2015, Ms. McDermott completed 150 hours of continued education focused specifically on Collaborative Leadership and Conflict Resolution. 30 of those hours were specifically dedicated to:
o Advanced Training in Motivational Interviewing
o Conflict Resolution
• 2014: Jamie was selected as a feature presenter at the Training Manager’s Seminar (TMS) held at the Cliff’s Resort in Pismo Beach, CA. Jamie’s course, Generational Diversity received exceptional reviews.
• In 2014 and 2015, Jamie McDermott dedicated 120 hours of continued education to:
o Effective and practical communication skills, tools, and techniques
o New tools to increase a sense of buy-in and ownership among your team while also building a stronger team as a whole
o Ownership language vs. victim language
o Ways to enhance awareness of and commitment to personal accountability and integrity in the workplace
o New and cooperative responses to move from conflict to collaboration
o Skills to help you thrive during changes and transitions in the workplace
o Necessary tools to take appropriate risks that will lead to enhanced performance and results
The Black Belt of Excellence Presented to Supervisor McDermott
“In appreciation for your outstanding leadership, dedication & contributions to the Officer Safety Training Team”